Plugin Name: Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP
- Software Type: Plugin
- Software Slug: schema-and-structured-data-for-wp
- Software Status: Active
- Software Author: magazine3
- Software Downloads: 4,852,104
- Active Installs: 100,000
- Last Updated: January 12, 2024
- Patched Versions: 1.26
- Affected Versions: <= 1.25
- Name: Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP <= 1.25
- Title: Authenticated (Contributor+) Stored Cross-Site Scripting
- Type: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:L/I:L/A:N
- CVE: CVE-2024-22146
- CVSS Score: 5.4
- Publicly Published: January 12, 2024
- Researcher: LVT-tholv2k
- Description: This vulnerability in the Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP plugin allows authenticated attackers with contributor-level access to inject arbitrary web scripts into web pages via the plugin’s shortcode(s), arising from insufficient input sanitization and output escaping.
The Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP plugin, widely used to enhance SEO, has been found to have a Stored Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability in versions up to and including 1.25. This vulnerability, assigned CVE-2024-22146, poses a risk of web script injection by users with contributor-level access or higher. It has been effectively addressed in version 1.26.
This vulnerability allows attackers with sufficient access to exploit the plugin's shortcode(s) and inject malicious scripts that can be executed when other users access the affected pages. The vulnerability arises due to inadequate input sanitization and output escaping, which are crucial for preventing XSS attacks. This poses a significant risk, especially in environments with multiple contributors or user-generated content, as it can lead to unauthorized actions and data breaches.
Advice for Users:
- Immediate Action: Update the plugin to the patched version 1.26 as soon as possible.
- Check for Signs of Vulnerability: Regularly scan your website for unauthorized script executions or content alterations.
- Alternate Plugins: Consider alternative SEO plugins offering similar functionality if additional security assurances are needed.
- Stay Updated: Ensure that your WordPress plugins are regularly updated to protect against known vulnerabilities.
The quick response to patch the Stored Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability in the Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP plugin underscores the importance of timely updates in web security. WordPress site owners, particularly those who rely on this plugin for SEO benefits, are advised to upgrade to version 1.26 or later. This incident serves as an important reminder of the ongoing need for vigilance in maintaining and securing WordPress installations, especially for small business owners who might lack dedicated IT resources.
In the ever-evolving landscape of website management, the revelation of a critical security vulnerability in the popular "Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP" plugin serves as a stark reminder of the importance of vigilant software maintenance. Identified as CVE-2024-22146, this vulnerability poses a significant threat, particularly for small business owners who rely on WordPress for their online presence but may lack extensive IT resources. This issue underscores the need for regular updates as a fundamental aspect of web security.
The Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP plugin, essential for enhancing SEO on WordPress sites, has been compromised by a Stored Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability in versions up to and including 1.25. This vulnerability enables authenticated users with contributor-level access to inject malicious scripts, which poses a considerable risk of unauthorized actions and data breaches.
This vulnerability represents a significant security risk, especially in WordPress environments with multiple contributors. Attackers can exploit the plugin's shortcode(s) to inject harmful scripts that execute when other users access the affected pages. This type of attack can lead to data theft, session hijacking, and compromise site integrity.
Advice for Users
- Immediate Action: Update to version 1.26, which contains the necessary security patch.
- Check for Signs: Regularly monitor for unauthorized script executions or content changes.
- Alternate Plugins: Assess alternative SEO plugins if seeking additional security features.
- Stay Updated: Prioritize regular updates of all WordPress plugins to mitigate risks.
There has been one previous vulnerability reported since December 27, 2023, which highlights the ongoing need for security vigilance with this plugin.
The prompt patching of CVE-2024-22146 in the Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP plugin is a crucial reminder for all WordPress site owners, especially small business owners, about the importance of keeping their digital assets up to date. In a world where online presence is increasingly intertwined with business success, ensuring the security of plugins is not just a technical task, but a core business strategy. Staying informed and proactive about such vulnerabilities is key to protecting your site, your customers, and your business reputation.
Staying on top of WordPress security can feel overwhelming for small business owners without dedicated IT staff. At Your WP Guy, we exist to shoulder that burden for you. Our WordPress experts can fully audit, secure, maintain and support your site - so you can focus on growing your business with peace of mind.
Don't tackle security risks alone. Let us help you assess any impact from this vulnerability, update your plugins, and implement ongoing maintenance to avoid future threats. We treat your website like it's our own - because we know how critical it is for reaching your customers.
Get in touch for a free consultation today on making WordPress security stress-free. Call 678-995-5169 or book a call here. Our knowledgeable team is ready to help you safeguard your online presence.