Plugin Name: RSS Aggregator – RSS Import, News Feeds, Feed to Post, and Autoblogging
- Software Type: Plugin
- Software Slug: wp-rss-aggregator
- Software Status: Active
- Software Author: jeangalea
- Software Downloads: 2,636,080
- Active Installs: 60,000
- Last Updated: February 13, 2024
- Patched Versions: 4.23.6
- Affected Versions: 4.23.5 - 4.23.5
- Name: WP RSS Aggregator <= 4.23.5
- Title: Authenticated (Admin+) Server-Side Request Forgery via RSS Feed Source
- Type: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:U/C:L/I:L/A:N
- CVE: CVE-2024-0628
- CVSS Score: 3.8
- Publicly Published: February 6, 2024
- Researcher: Colin Xu
- Description: The WP RSS Aggregator plugin, a powerful tool for importing and aggregating RSS feeds within WordPress sites, has a Server-Side Request Forgery (SSRF) vulnerability in its RSS feed source settings. This flaw, found in versions up to 4.23.5, allows authenticated attackers with administrative access to make unauthorized web requests from the server, potentially interacting with internal systems or modifying sensitive information.
The RSS Aggregator plugin, essential for WordPress users who curate content from various RSS feeds, has been identified with a critical SSRF vulnerability in its recent versions up to 4.23.5. This security lapse, addressed in version 4.23.6, could allow attackers with admin privileges to exploit the server for unauthorized information queries and modifications, posing a significant risk to site integrity.
Discovered by cybersecurity researcher Colin Xu, this vulnerability underscores the necessity of stringent input validation and secure configuration settings within plugins, especially those with advanced functionalities like RSS Aggregator. The SSRF vulnerability could be exploited to access or interact with internal network services, leading to data leaks or unauthorized actions on the server. The timely release of a patch in version 4.23.6 highlights the importance of immediate action in response to such vulnerabilities.
Advice for Users:
- Immediate Action: Update the RSS Aggregator plugin to version 4.23.6 promptly to protect your site from potential SSRF attacks.
- Check for Signs of Vulnerability: Monitor server logs and WordPress activity for any unusual requests or actions that might indicate the exploitation of this vulnerability.
- Alternate Plugins: While the updated version is secure, users may consider alternative RSS feed plugins as a precautionary measure or for additional features.
- Stay Updated: Regularly updating all WordPress components is vital in safeguarding your site against known vulnerabilities and maintaining a secure online presence.
The resolution of the SSRF vulnerability in the RSS Aggregator plugin serves as a critical reminder of the ongoing need for diligence in the digital security landscape. WordPress site owners are encouraged to apply the latest updates and adhere to security best practices, ensuring their installations are fortified against such threats. This incident highlights the importance of proactive security measures and the role of the WordPress community in maintaining a secure and trustworthy platform for all users.
- Wordfence Vulnerability Report on WP RSS Aggregator 4.23.5
- Wordfence Vulnerability Overview for WP RSS Aggregator
Staying on top of WordPress security can feel overwhelming for small business owners without dedicated IT staff. At Your WP Guy, we exist to shoulder that burden for you. Our WordPress experts can fully audit, secure, maintain and support your site - so you can focus on growing your business with peace of mind.
Don't tackle security risks alone. Let us help you assess any impact from this vulnerability, update your plugins, and implement ongoing maintenance to avoid future threats. We treat your website like it's our own - because we know how critical it is for reaching your customers.
Get in touch for a free consultation today on making WordPress security stress-free. Call 678-995-5169 or book a call here. Our knowledgeable team is ready to help you safeguard your online presence.