Plugin Name: Essential Blocks – Page Builder Gutenberg Blocks, Patterns & Templates
- Software Type: Plugin
- Software Slug: essential-blocks
- Software Status: Active
- Software Author: wpdevteam
- Software Downloads: 2,305,018
- Active Installs: 100,000
- Last Updated: January 9, 2024
- Patched Versions: 4.4.7
- Affected Versions: <= 4.4.6
- Name: Essential Blocks <= 4.4.6
- Title: Authenticated (Contributor+) Stored Cross-Site Scripting
- Type: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N
- CVE: CVE-2023-7071
- CVSS Score: 6.4
- Publicly Published: January 9, 2024
- Researcher: Webbernaut
- Description: The Essential Blocks plugin for WordPress, particularly its Table of Contents block, is vulnerable to Stored Cross-Site Scripting in versions up to and including 4.4.6. This vulnerability stems from insufficient input sanitization and output escaping, allowing authenticated attackers with at least contributor-level access to inject malicious web scripts.
The Essential Blocks plugin for WordPress, a popular tool for enhancing Gutenberg block functionality, has a vulnerability in versions up to and including 4.4.6. This vulnerability, identified in the Table of Contents block, enables authenticated users with contributor-level access or higher to perform Stored Cross-Site Scripting attacks. The issue has been addressed in version 4.4.7.
This vulnerability presents a significant risk to WordPress websites using the Essential Blocks plugin, particularly those that allow user-generated content. The Stored Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability in the Table of Contents block could be exploited to inject harmful scripts into web pages. These scripts could execute various malicious activities, compromising the website's security and integrity and potentially affecting its visitors.
Advice for Users:
- Immediate Action: Update the Essential Blocks plugin to the latest patched version 4.4.7 immediately.
- Check for Signs of Vulnerability: Regularly review your site for unexpected script executions or changes in content.
- Alternate Plugins: While the vulnerability has been patched, users may consider exploring alternative plugins with similar functionalities for added security.
- Stay Updated: Consistently ensure that all WordPress plugins are up-to-date to avoid vulnerabilities.
The quick response by the Essential Blocks plugin developers in patching the CVE-2023-7071 vulnerability highlights the critical role of timely updates in web security. WordPress site owners, particularly small business owners who might not have extensive technical resources, are advised to update to version 4.4.7 or later to safeguard their sites. This incident underscores the importance of regular plugin maintenance and proactive cybersecurity measures to protect digital assets.
- Wordfence Vulnerability Report on Essential Blocks
- Detailed Vulnerability Analysis of Essential Blocks
In an era where digital presence is crucial, maintaining the security of your website is paramount. The recent discovery of a vulnerability in the Essential Blocks – Page Builder Gutenberg Blocks, Patterns & Templates plugin, marked as CVE-2023-7071, emphasizes the ongoing need for vigilance in website maintenance. For small business owners, understanding and addressing such vulnerabilities is critical to protect their website and, by extension, their business.
About the Plugin:
Essential Blocks, designed to enhance Gutenberg block functionality on WordPress, has become an integral tool for over 100,000 websites. Developed by wpdevteam, this plugin has seen over 2.3 million downloads, demonstrating its popularity and widespread use.
Risks and Potential Impacts:
The vulnerability poses significant risks to WordPress websites, particularly those allowing user-generated content. The Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability could lead to unauthorized actions, data theft, or manipulation of website content. For small businesses, such threats can result in reputational damage and loss of customer trust.
- Immediate Action: Update to version 4.4.7, which patches the vulnerability.
- Check for Signs of Vulnerability: Monitor your site for unusual activities or content changes.
- Alternate Plugins: Consider using alternative plugins with similar functionalities as a precaution.
- Stay Updated: Regularly update all WordPress plugins to protect against vulnerabilities.
Since January 20, 2023, Essential Blocks has experienced 10 previous vulnerabilities, highlighting the importance of ongoing security awareness and updates.
The prompt patching of CVE-2023-7071 by Essential Blocks' developers underlines the importance of regular software updates in maintaining web security. For small business owners managing WordPress sites, this incident serves as a crucial reminder of the need for diligent plugin maintenance. Employing automated updates, scheduling regular security checks, or partnering with managed WordPress hosting services can help ensure the security of digital assets with minimal time investment. Staying proactive in cybersecurity is essential in safeguarding your business's online presence.
Staying on top of WordPress security can feel overwhelming for small business owners without dedicated IT staff. At Your WP Guy, we exist to shoulder that burden for you. Our WordPress experts can fully audit, secure, maintain and support your site - so you can focus on growing your business with peace of mind.
Don't tackle security risks alone. Let us help you assess any impact from this vulnerability, update your plugins, and implement ongoing maintenance to avoid future threats. We treat your website like it's our own - because we know how critical it is for reaching your customers.
Get in touch for a free consultation today on making WordPress security stress-free. Call 678-995-5169 or book a call here. Our knowledgeable team is ready to help you safeguard your online presence.